Pathways to Professions 2023 Summer Internship Award Program
Temple University’s College of Liberal Arts (CLA) encourages all of its students to complete at least one internship before graduation, as it will facilitate career exploration and job marketability. However, the majority of nonprofit and government internships are unpaid, which can present challenges to those students pursuing this type of work, but cannot afford to take time off from their paid jobs. This is why generous Temple CLA alumni have provided donations to offer a $2000.00 award to a select group of students completing unpaid internships for the summer of 2023. Please read below for more information about eligibility and how to apply for consideration.
To apply for award, you must meet the following conditions:
Commit to securing an internship by April 14, 2023. The Joyce K Salzberg Center for Professional Development team is available to support and facilitate students’ internship search and application before this date.
Internship must meet the following criteria:
- Non-credit bearing
- Minimum of 150 total hours between May and August of 2023
- Work is off campus, not Temple University affiliated
- Both domestic and international internships qualify for award
- Meets the National Association of Colleges and Employers legal internship criteria
- Be currently enrolled as a full-time, degree-seeking, undergraduate student with a primary major declared in the College of Liberal Arts during fall 2023 semester
- Have a $0 tuition balance by May 1, 2023 and not be in Temple University financial delinquency
- Have a $2000.00 unmet Temple University financial aid need (schedule appointment with Student Financial Services for this information)
- Be currently registered as a full-time student and be a full-time student during the fall 2022 semester
- Have not received the Pathways to Professions Summer Internship Award in the past
- Will not receive other awards or grant funding for the summer 2023 internship experience (only exceptions are transportation coverage and/or parking)
- Must agree to share information and updates about internship site and time tracking with Joyce K Salzberg Center for Professional Development team
- Must commit to participating in 3 virtual professional development sessions with Joyce K Salzberg Center for Professional Development team during summer of 2023. The purpose of these sessions is to help you reflect on your internship experience, connect with peers and professionals, identify skills you are developing and integrate your internship experience into your professional materials (e.g., resume, LinkedIn, personal statements) and into how you might present it other professional settings (interviews, networking events, career fairs, etc.)
- Must be in agreement with the award disbursement method. See below.
Award Disbursement Method and Details
All Pathways to Professions Summer Internship Awards are applied as scholarships for the Spring 2023 period to your bursar billing account through Student Financial Services and will be paid in one lump sum as a refund at the end of June. Award recipients must comply with the following rules and stipulations shown below, enforced by the Department of Education:
- To be eligible to receive the award, your Bursar account for the spring semester 2023 billing must be current. Any outstanding balance for the spring 2023 will be paid by the award.
- Payments are received via a refund from your bursar account. Students with direct deposit setup on their bursar account will receive awards to the currently listed bank account, but if no direct deposit is setup, students will receive a mailed check to the permanent address listed. Students can set up direct deposit via TUpay on the Student Tools Tab of the TUportal. *Please note that mailed checks will take a few extra weeks to receive.
- If you have received loans and/or financial aid up to the limit of the full cost of attendance during the 2022-2023 academic year at Temple University, your internship award will lower the loan amount and not be paid out as a refund. –Please contact or visit Student Financial Services to speak to a representative about your specific account if you are not sure. If you find when speaking to them that there is any issue with you receiving this award in the summer, please contact the Joyce K Salzberg Center for Professional Development team asap.
- All or a portion of your award may be included in your gross income to the extent that the aggregate amount you receive exceeds (a) tuition and fees required to enroll in, or to attend an educational institution, or (b) fee, books, supplies and equipment that are required for the courses of instruction at Temple University. See IRS Notice 87-31. Therefore, you may be liable for federal income taxes on all or a portion of the award. If you are uncertain as to the federal tax treatment of your award, you should seek the advice of a tax professional. The Internal Revenue Service also provides guidance in their Publication 520, Scholarships and Fellowships. The publication can be obtained from the IRS website at www .irs.gov.
- Application OPENS on Tuesday, November 1, 2022 and CLOSES Sunday, January 22, 2023 at 11:59
- Applicants will hear back by mid-February
- Please send any questions or concerns regarding the Pathways to Professions Summer Internship Award Program to email@example.com.