20th- and 21st-century Latin American Literature and Culture; Cultural and Intellectual History; Intersectionality between Aesthetics and Politics
My scholarly work focuses on intersections among the performing arts, literature, and other forms of cultural production in both Spanish America and Brazil, with special attention to the ways that aesthetic ideas and practices are represented, materialized, and institutionalized through long-term cultural and historical processes. I was born in Bogotá, Colombia and earned my B.A. in Literary Studies from the Universidad Nacional de Colombia and a graduate certificate from the Instituto Caro y Cuervo. I earned my M.A. and Ph.D. in Spanish from Penn State University. I am currently Assistant Professor of Instruction in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese at Temple University.
- “Newspaper and Archive as Media in Mário’s Ethnographic Journals, O turista aprendiz.” Hispanic Review 84.2 (Spring 2016): 171-190.
- “Búsqueda y aprendizaje de una experiencia histórico-literaria en Respiración artificial.” Contextos, revista de semióticaliteraria 21.42 (enero-junio de 2009): 17-28.
- “Teatro Prometeo.” The Routledge Encyclopedia of Modernism. Taylor and Francis, 2016. DOI: 10.4324/9781135000356-REM1066-1
- “Roberto Arlt.” (Co-authored with Javier Padilla). The Routledge Encyclopedia of Modernism. Taylor and Francis, 2016. DOI: 10.4324/9781135000356-REM1453-1
- El intelectual y la cultura de masas: Argumentos latinoamericanos en torno a Ángel Rama y José María Arguedas by García-Liendo, Javier. Studies in 20th & 21st Century Literature (STTCL): Vol. 42: Iss. 2 (2018): Article 15. DOI: 10.4148/2334-4415.2002
- LASS 2020: Contemporary Latin American and Caribbean Cultures
- Spanish 1001: Basic I-Laboratories
- Spanish 1003: Intermediate Spanish
- Spanish 1003: Honors Intermediate Spanish
- Spanish 2001: Conversational Review
- Spanish 2002: Hispanic Readings
- Spanish 2096: Composition
- Spanish 2902: Honors Hispanic Readings
- Spanish 3002: Hispanic Readings II. Key Concepts for Contemporary Latin American Literature
- Spanish 3204: Latin America through Film and Literature
- Spanish 3241: The Cultures of Latin America
- Spanish 0837: Eating Cultures