Congratulations to the 2021 Teaching Award Winners
By: Nick Santangelo
This time last year, the College of Liberal Arts (CLA) was hosting our annual Teaching Awards virtually for what we hoped would be the first and final time. Instead, the ongoing pandemic necessitated another virtual ceremony in 2021. The accomplishments of CLA’s faculty during the 2020-2021 academic year, however, are perhaps all the more impressive considering the challenges both students and faculty continued to overcome.
CLA Dean Richard Deeg congratulated 2021’s winners and highlighted some of the criteria that earned them their awards.
- Hamil Pearsall, Geography and Urban Studies, Presidential Faculty Award
- Anne Layman-Horn, English, Instructional Faculty Award
- James M. DeLise, Intellectual Heritage, Eleanor Hofkin Award
- Lesley Norris, Psychology, Graduate Student Instructor of Record Award
- Stephen Dickinson, Geography and Urban Studies, Graduate Student Teaching Assistant Award
“I want to congratulate all of our winners this year, and also thank you for the time and effort that you put into teaching,” said Dean Richard Deeg. “You don't win a Teaching Award by just sort of doing the basics and ticking boxes. You win it by excelling. What we do at this university is we generate knowledge, and we do that through our research.”
Continuing, Dean Deeg noted that great teaching can only occur when faculty and students build strong classroom relationships based on trust and reciprocity. The dean noted that the journeys taken to build those relationships involve not just the passage of knowledge from professor to student but also from student to professor.
In addition to handing out CLA’s Teaching Awards, Senior Associate Dean Hiram Aldarondo also took the opportunity to recognize and congratulate college faculty members who won university-wide awards.
- Bryant Simon, History Department, University Great Teacher Award
- Gerardo Augusto Lorenzino, Spanish and Portuguese, Lindback Award
- Julie Herskovitz, First Year Writing Program, Part-Time Faculty Excellence in Teaching and Instruction Award
- Bradley Gardener, Geography and Urban Studies, Provost’s Award for Teaching Excellence in General Education
- Ingrid Olson, Psychology, Faculty Research Award
The College of Liberal Arts congratulates the 2021 Teaching Award and Temple University faculty award winners and thanks the entire faculty for another successful year!