Adolescence, Juvenile Justice
Laurence Steinberg is one of the world’s leading experts on adolescence. His research has focused on a range of topics, including adolescent brain and psychological development, risk-taking and decision making, family and peer relationships, juvenile justice, and school achievement. He is former President of the Division of Developmental Psychology of the American Psychological Association and of the Society for Research on Adolescence. Dr. Steinberg was a member of the National Academies’ Board on Children, Youth, and Families, and chaired the Academies’ Committee on the Science of Adolescence. He is a Fellow of the American Psychological Association, the Association for Psychological Science, and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Dr. Steinberg is the author or co-author of nearly 500 articles and essays on development during the teenage years, and the author, co-author, or editor of 17 books, most recently Age of Opportunity: Lessons From the New Science of Adolescence, You and Your Adolescent, The 10 Basic Principles of Good Parenting, and Adolescence, the leading college textbook on the subject. He has also written for The New York
Times, The Wall Street Journal, and The Washington Post, and is a frequent guest on NPR.
- Duell, N., & Steinberg, L. (2019). Positive risk taking in adolescence. Child Development Perspectives, 13, 48-52.
- Icenogle, G., Steinberg, L., Duell, N., Chein, J., Chang, L., Chaudary, N., . . . Bacchini, D. (2019). Adolescents’ cognitive capacity reaches adult levels prior to their psychosocial maturity: Evidence for a “maturity gap” in a multinational sample. Law and Human Behavior, 43, 69-85.
- Shulman, E., Smith, A., Silva, K., Icenogle, G., Duell, N., Chein, J., & Steinberg, L. (2016). The dual systems model: Review, reappraisal, and reaffirmation. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience, 17, 103-117.
- Steinberg, L., & Icenogle, G. (2019). Using developmental science to distinguish adolescents and adults under the law. Annual Review of Developmental Psychology, 1, 21-40.
- Steinberg, L., Icenogle, G., Shulman, E., Breiner, K., Chein, J., Bacchini, D., . . . Takash, H. (2018). Around the world, adolescence is a time of heightened sensation seeking and immature self-regulation. Developmental Science, 21, 1-13.
- Steinberg, L. (2017). Adolescent brain science and juvenile justice policymaking. Psychology, Public Policy, and Law, 23, 410-420.
- Adolescent Development
- Graduate Seminar in Adolescence