Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Geographic Information Science (GISci); Health Geography, Environmental Justice, Substance Use
Dr. Mennis is an expert in Geographic Information Systems and Science and its application to health and environment. His research focuses on GIS-based modeling of neighborhood, environmental, and social contexts of health behaviors and outcomes. He is currently an Associate Editor for the CDC journal Preventing Chronic Disease. He has served as President of the University Consortium for Geographic Information Science (UCGIS), Chair of the Geographic Information Science and Systems Specialty Group of the American Association of Geographers, Board Director for the GIS Certification Institute (GISCI), and Editorial Board member for the Annals of the Association of American Geographers and International Journal of Geographical Information Science. Dr. Mennis received a doctorate in Geography from Pennsylvania State University and is a certified GIS Professional.
See Google Scholar for a full publication list.
- Mennis, J. and Stahler, G.J., 2020. Adolescent treatment admissions for marijuana following recreational legalization in Colorado and Washington. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 210: 107960.
- Smith, C.D. and Mennis, J., 2020. Incorporating geographic information science and technology in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Preventing Chronic Disease, 17: 200246.
- Mennis, J., Stahler, G.J., El Magd, S.A., and Baron D.A., 2019. How long does it take to complete outpatient substance use disorder treatment? Disparities among Blacks, Hispanics, and Whites in the US. Addictive Behaviors, 93: 158-165.
- Mennis, J. and Yoo, E.-H.E., 2018. Geographic information science and the analysis of place and health. Transactions in GIS, 22: 842-854.
- Mennis, J., Mason, M., and Ambrus, A., 2018. Urban greenspace is associated with reduced psychological stress among adolescents: A geographic ecological momentary assessment (GEMA) analysis of activity space. Landscape and Urban Planning, 174:1-9.
- Mennis, J., Stahler, G.J., and Mason, M.J., 2016. Risky substance use environments and addiction: A new frontier for environmental justice research. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 13(6): 607.
- Mennis, J., 2016. Dasymetric spatiotemporal interpolation. The Professional Geographer, 68(1): 92-102.
- GUS 0821: Digital Mapping
- GUS/ENST 3062/5062: Fundamentals of GIS
- GUS/ENST 3067/5067: GIS and Location Analysis
- GUS/ENST 4017/5017: Health and Environment Seminar
- GUS/ENST 4065/5065: Urban GIS