Arabic Language, Modern Arabic Literature, Arab Cinema, Syrian Literature
- PhD, University of Pennsylvania
- MA, University of Texas at Austin
Professor Firat teaches Arabic, modern Arabic literature, Arab cinema, and culture and dissent courses at Temple. She is the co-editor of the volume Generations of Dissent in MENA Literary and Cinematic
Productions, as well as working on her own book manuscript tentatively titled “The Historical Imaginary in Syrian Fiction.” Firat is a Fulbright Scholars (Jordan, 2013).
Additionally, Firat is a literary translator. Her translations can be found in The Book of Gaza; Beirut 39; Words without Borders; New Voices of Saudi Arabia, The Poetry. She is also the translator of Khalil Sweileh’s award-winning novel Writing Love.
- 2020. Generations of Dissent in Literary and Cinematic Productions of North Africa Middle East. Co-edited with Shareah Taleghani, Syracuse University Press.
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- 2017. “Re-formed Discourse: Papers/Awrāq of the (new) Syrian Writers’ Association (rābiṭah al-kuttāb al-surīyīn),” Alif 37 (1-26).
- 2015. “Cultural Battles on the Literary Field: From the Syrian Writers Collective to the Last Days of Socialist Realism in Syria” Middle Eastern Literatures 18:2 (153-176).
- 2020. “Introduction” Generations of Dissent in Literary and Cinematic Productions of North Africa Middle East. Edited by Alexa Firat and Shareah Taleghani, Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press.
- 2020. “The Exilic Condition and Resistance in Jordanian Literature,” Generations of Dissent in Literary and Cinematic Productions of North Africa Middle East. Edited by Alexa Firat and Shareah Taleghani, Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press.
- 2019. “The Symbolic Power of Syrian Collective Memory since 2011,” Arab Cultural Fields in Crisis. Edited by Richard Jaquemond and Felix Lang, London: I.B. Tauris.
- 2017. “Syria,” The Oxford Handbook of Arabic Novelistic Traditions. Edited by Waïl S. Hassan, New York: Oxford University Press.
- Encyclopedia of Islam, 3rd Edition.
- “Ulfat Idlibi”
- “Hanna Mina”
- “Khalil Mardam Bey”
- Reviews in Arab Studies Journal; Global Literatures in Libraries Initiative; Society for Contemporary Thought and the Islamicate World; Middle Eastern Literatures; Journal of Arabic Literature; Jadaliyya e-zine; Syrian Studies Association Bulletin
- Arabic Elements, Intermediate, Advanced
- Arab Women Writers
- Lens on Society: Arab Cinema
- Modern Arabic Literature in Translation
- Culture, Politics and the Art of Dissent in the MENA Uprisings
- Gen Ed: World Society in Literature and Film