B.A. in Gender, Sexuality and Women's Studies + M.A. in Sociology
Gender, Sexuality and Women’s Studies B.A. + MA in Sociology
Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies (GSWS) majors in the junior year who are interested in preparing for careers in research, social services, or nonprofit leadership. This accelerated program will provide students with the knowledge and skills that would make them competitive in the workforce and help them make a positive contribution in fields that include research, social services, and nonprofits.
Applications will be due to the sociology department by March 1st, and a decision will be provided to the students by April 15th. Applications will be reviewed by the Sociology Graduate Admissions Committee, in consultation with the GSWS director. We do not anticipate more than a few students to be admitted annually, at most. Students will receive admission to the program conditional on their successful completion of their Spring semester courses, as well as maintaining a cumulative GPA of 3.25, with a GPA of 3.5 in the GSWS major. In the spring of the senior year, students will submit an official Temple University Graduate School application. Students will be officially admitted to the graduate program before the start of the summer semester following their senior year.
Applications must include:
- The Sociology Department 4+1 Master’s Program Application
- Two letters of recommendation from full-time Temple University GSWS faculty (tell faculty to email these to email@example.com)
- A statement of purpose outlining the student’s goals for entering the accelerated BA/MA program (you should email this to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- A writing sample that shows the student’s ability to complete graduate level courses, drawn from an upper-division course taken at Temple University (send in the same email as the statement of purpose)
- The GRE requirement is waived
Students will pay full tuition for the entire program. For the three graduate courses that will substitute for Sociology 3000+ courses, the students will pay undergraduate, not graduate, tuition. For the seven graduate courses taken in the 5th year, students will pay graduate tuition.
The BA level requirements for 4+1 students are the same as the requirements for our existing GSWS BA students.
The MA level requirement for the 4+1 students are the same as the requirements for our existing sociology MA students EXCEPT that 4+1 students will replace one open elective with the specific options of either the Internship in Social Research, or the Sociology Independent Study, or an approved elective from another department, school, or college. This allows students to gain 3 credits during a summer session when our department does not offer graduate level courses.
Questions? Email the graduate director, Professor Dustin Kidd: email@example.com.
GSWS B.A. + M.Ed Accelerated Degrees
Please follow the links below to view your program of interest. You can read more about the program requirements, dates and deadlines and instructions on how to apply.
- 4+1 Dual Degree: Gender, Sexuality and Women’s Studies (B.A.) + Adult & Organizational Development (M.Ed.)
- 4+1 Dual Degree: Gender, Sexuality and Women’s Studies (BA) + Urban Education (M.Ed.)