BA in English + MA in English
Students apply to the “4+1” Accelerated B.A./M.A. Degree Program during their junior year and if accepted, begin course work in the graduate program in their fourth undergraduate year by taking three graduate courses while also completing the rest of the requirements for the English BA. The three graduate courses taken in their senior year substitute for three undergraduate courses required for the English major. In their “MA” or fifth year, students take six additional graduate courses. In their final semester, they also enroll in 3 credits of ENG 9996-Masters Essay in order to work with a faculty mentor on completing the required Masters Qualifying Essay. Students will also be required to fulfill a language requirement over the course of their 4th and/or 5th year. Students must complete all the requirements for the BA by the end of their 4th year, and all the requirements for the MA by the end of their 5th year.
In addition to fulfilling all the requirements for the undergraduate B.A. degree in English by the end of their fourth year, students in the “4+1” Accelerated BA/MA Degree Program must also complete all of the following requirements for the English MA by the end of their fifth year:
- 9 English graduate courses (27 credits), one of which must be at the advanced level (8000-9000)
- 3 graduate courses in the fourth or senior year. These 3 graduate courses will substitute for 3 required courses for the undergraduate major
- 6 graduate courses in their fifth or M.A. year
- English 9996: Masters Essay (3 credits) in spring semester of fifth year
- Masters Qualifying Essay
Nine courses (27 credits) plus 3 credits of 9996-Masters Essay are required for the M.A. degree in English (30 credits total).
In their 4th year, students are required to take three graduate courses. In the fall semester, Accelerated MA students take Eng 9001: Introduction to Graduate Studies. In spring, they may enroll in a 5000 or 8000 level course, in consultation with the Director of Graduate Studies, who serves as advisor for graduate courses.
In their 5th or M.A. year, students are required to take a total of six graduate courses—three courses in the fall and three courses in the spring. These courses may be selected from any of the 5000-9000 level courses, and one of these courses must be an advanced, 8000-9000 level course.
ENG 9996: Masters Essay
In the final semester of their fifth year, students must also enroll in 3 credits of English 9996: Masters Essay. While enrolled in ENG 9996, the student will work under the guidance of a faculty mentor on the Masters Qualifying Essay and submit the Qualifying Essay by the spring semester deadline for acceptance by the program.
Masters Qualifying Essay
The Qualifying Essay is typically a substantial revision of a paper submitted for a course and is written in the final semester under the guidance of a faculty mentor, who must also approve the essay for submission. The Qualifying Essay demonstrates the student’s ability to write perceptively, lucidly, and at length (4,000-6,000 words) on a literary subject, and is due in the final semester by a date specified in the Graduate English Calendar.
Students are required to demonstrate reading knowledge of one foreign language by either passing a translation exam or completing 6 credits of language courses beyond the intermediate language level. They may complete this requirement in either their fourth or fifth year.
Students interested in the “4+1” Accelerated BA/MA Degree Program should apply for admission in the spring semester of their junior year. Applications are due to the English Graduate Office by March 15th, and a decision will be provided to the applicant in April.
Students admitted to the accelerated MA program will have demonstrated exceptional achievement in their coursework during the first 5 semesters at Temple University. Prospective applicants to the program should be English majors who are able to complete the undergraduate English BA in four years. However, in rare instances, a student who will be able to complete the requirements of the English major in the course of a five year program will be allowed to enter the BA/MA program. Eligibility is limited to students who will be able to complete both the BA and MA in five years; transfer students who will be able to complete both programs in five years are eligible to apply.
Requirements for Admission:
- Student has completed 21 of the required 36 required English courses in order to apply
- Undergraduate GPA in English of at least 3.8
- Overall GPA of at least 3.5 in at least 45 credits of coursework taken at Temple
- By the end of the student's junior year, all of required 2000 level courses will have been completed: English 2001, Interpreting Literature and two of the following, English 2501: Introduction to British Writing, English 2502: Introduction to American Writing, English 2503: Introduction to Global Writing and two 2000 level electives.
Applications are due to the English Graduate Office by March 15th, and a decision will be provided to the applicant in April.
Applications must include:
- Cover sheet. Available from the English Graduate Program.
- Two letters of recommendation from full-time Temple University faculty. Please consult with the Director of Graduate Studies if you have any questions about whom to ask for letters.
- A statement of purpose outlining the student’s goals for entering the accelerated B.A./M.A. program.
- A writing sample that shows the student’s ability to complete graduate level courses: students will supply a writing sample drawn from an upper-division English course taken at Temple University.
Students will be notified of the committee’s decision in April. Students will receive admission to the program conditional on their successful completion of necessary major requirements in the spring semester, as well as on maintaining a 3.5 overall GPA.