Contemporary Spanish American Fiction, Spanish American Autobiographies, Latin American Cultural Studies, Spanish American Postcolonial Studies, Latin American Film, Literary Theory, Narratology
I was born in Lima (Perú) and I have always felt a strong attraction to literature. I see myself basically as a reader and, in second place, as a scholar. My areas of specialization include numerous topics in the field of contemporary Latin American literature, particularly in connection to the production of autobiographical narratives and the development of modern and postmodern fiction in the Andean region. My interest in exploring the connections between literature and the other arts in 20th century Spanish American and Andean literatures has been a constant throughout my career. My approach to the teaching of modern Latin American literatures and cultures, particularly in my fields of specialization (contemporary fiction, autobiographical writings, contemporary Latin American film, Andean literatures) is based on the interdisciplinary, intermedial and intercultural presentation of representative literary and cultural textualities that express the depth and intricacies of collective subjectivity.
- Autobiographical Writing in Latin America: Folds of the Self. Amherst, N.Y.: Cambria Press, 2017. 286 pp. ISBN: 978-1-60497-979-4
- Pliegues del yo. Cuatro estudios sobre escritura autobiográfica en Hispanoamérica. Santiago de Chile: Editorial Cuarto Propio, 2015. 311 pp. ISBN: 978-956-260-730-8
- In(ter)venciones del yo: Escritura y sujeto autobiográfico en Hispanoamérica (1974-2002). Madrid; Frankfurt: Iberoamericana/Vervuert, Serie ETC. 2012. 248 pp. ISBN: 9788484896586
- A favor de la esfinge. La novelística de Jorge Eduardo Eielson. Lima: Fondo Editorial de la Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, 2000. 134 pp. ISBN: 9972-46-138-6
- Editor: José María Arguedas: hacia una poética migrante. Pittsburgh: Instituto Internacional de Literatura Iberoamericana, 2006. 402 pp. ISBN: 1-930744-22-6.
- Editor: Literaturas y culturas de la región andina. Special Issue of Revista Iberoamericana 220 (2007). ISSN: 00349631.
- Spanish 8147: Cultural Studies Concepts in Latin America (Spring 2010); Lines of Force in Contemporary Spanish American Narrative (Fall 2012, Fall 2016)
- Spanish 4143/5143: Latin American Novel (Spring 2014, Spring 2012, Spring 2009)
- Spanish 3204: Latin America through Film (Spring 2012, Spring 2011, Fall 2016)
- Spanish 4142/5142: Spanish American Short Story (Fall 2011, Fall 2010, Fall 2009, Fall 2012)
- Spanish 3241: Spanish American Culture and Civilization (Fall 2011, Fall 2010)
- Spanish 4148/5148: Latin American Literature of Social Conflict (Spring 2011, Fall 2014)
- Spanish 3141: Introduction to Spanish American Literature (Spring 2009, Spring 2017, Spring 2018)
- Spanish 4141/5141: Survey of Spanish American Literature II (Spring 2014, Spring 2013, Fall 2008)
- Spanish 4146/5146: National Literatures of Spanish America (Fall 2008, Fall 2013, Spring 2015)
- Spanish W3096/3996: Adv. Analysis and Writing Skills (Spring 2013, Fall 2014, Spring 2017)
- Spanish 8161: Critical Approaches to Hispanic Literature (Fall 2015)
- Spanish 2096 (Spring 2018)