Our students immerse themselves in Latin American culture and languages in the classroom on a daily basis, but we also encourage them study abroad in Latin America. Temple students can earn a bachelors of arts in Latin American Studies degree or minor in Latin American Studies. Either way, they get a world-class education about one of the world’s most important regions. Through either option, our students receive a superlative education about one of the most world’s most crucial regions, especially in terms of its strategic place for the global environment, cultural diversity, the arts, trade, immigration, and U.S. foreign relations.
An Immersive Experience
Students of Latin American Studies have the opportunity to participate in the Latin American Studies Semester (LASS) through the Department of Spanish & Portuguese. Students take classes only in the target language and have the opportunity to study abroad together for several weeks in a Latin American country.
Travel The World
Our students have the opportunity to study in Latin America for a semester or more. Our interdisciplinary program means that most credits taken through approved study abroad programs will apply toward graduation. Recent graduates have studied in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guatemala, Mexico and Peru.
Bachelor of Arts in Latin American Studies
The Major in Latin American Studies is flexible and dynamic, allowing you to specialize in a number of fields such as history, sociology, religion, political science, art history, media studies, U.S.-Latin American relations, U.S. Latino Studies, or Latin American literature, language, and film. The requirements are eleven courses and a capstone research project. The flexible track allows students to identify a program of study that draws from a structured set of requirements and electives, culminating in a research-based and writing-intensive capstone seminar. Students must also demonstrate a reading and speaking knowledge of Spanish or Portuguese.
- Learn More about the BA in Latin American Studies
Minor in Latin American Studies
Students interested in enhancing their degree program may declare a Minor in Latin American Studies. The Minor is of particular value to students who wish to engage in international or domestic work—in trade, business, healthcare, academics, education, government, law or legal and technical work—concerning Latin America and U.S. Latinos. The requirements are six courses in subjects with a Latin American emphasis. Students must also demonstrate a reading knowledge and speaking facility of Spanish or Portuguese.
- Learn More about the Minor in Latin American Studies
Latin American Studies also offers three interdisciplinary certificates in tandem with other departments:
- Spanish and Latin American Studies for Business
- Latino Studies and Spanish for the Health and Human Services Professions
- Latin American Studies Semester Certificate and Program
Latin American Studies Semester (LASS)
Latin American Studies students have numerous study abroad opportunities. Don’t restrict your to just the classroom—get out into the Spanish, Portuguese and French speaking worlds! Consider enrolling in the Latin American Studies Semester to study abroad in Ecuador for three weeks!
- Learn More about the Latin American Studies Semester
Students majoring or minoring in Latin American Studies:
- Study the cultures, societies, art, media, music, film, literature, history, politics, religion, and foreign relations of Latin America from a multidisciplinary perspective.
- Gain in-depth understanding of the growing Latino population in the United States.
- Analyze economic development, U.S.-Latin American foreign relations, and underdevelopment from a comparative and global perspective.
- Acquire up-to-date knowledge and skills directly concerned with the Americas from a variety of methodological perspectives.
- Improve, elevate, and refine their writing and critical thinking skills.
- Combine training in Spanish and/or Portuguese with the lived experience of speakers of these languages.
- Enjoy world-class instruction from leading researchers and teachers.
- Often study abroad to prepare for their careers.
Spring 2022 Course Offerings
Dear LAS Students and Faculty
Please check out the updated Spring 2022 LAS course offerings with pre-approved credit listings for Spanish Majors and Minors, and Global Studies Majors and Minors. As you may note from out cross-listed courses with Spanish, History, Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies, Anthropology, and Philosophy, we are offering a wide-array of classes that focus on Latin America. We look forward to seeing you in class!
*With pre-approved credit listings for Spanish Majors and Minors, Global Studies Majors and Minors, and Cross-lists with Spanish, History, Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies, Anthropology, and Philosophy