Graduate Student Resources
Orientation and Resources for Graduate Students
CLA Graduate Student Programming
We are committed to providing programming tailored to graduate students throughout the upcoming academic year. Programming will revolve around the topics that are key to a healthy, successful and productive experience in our graduate programs. This includes mental health and wellness, professional development and career diversity and anti-racist/Safe Zone training provided by the University’s Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, Advocacy and Leadership (IDEAL). All programming will take place virtually for the upcoming academic year. Programming announcements will be made via email, posted on the university events calendar and promoted on Twitter.
Upcoming Fall 2020 Programming
RSVP for our first session on mental health Taking Care of You: Tools to Manage Stress and Overcome Imposter Syndrome on Friday, 10/2 at 1:00 PM.
The Career Center is hosting the Graduate Student Career Ready Workshop Series which is designed to prepare graduate students for careers and enhance their professional development. Please login to Handshake for more information and registration to the events:
- Resume and Cover Letter Writing
- Career Planning and Job Search
- Linkedin 101
Amy Defibaugh, the Director of Graduate Affairs in the College of Liberal Arts will be holding town hall meetings/open office hours for CLA graduate students regularly throughout the academic year to discuss ongoing student concerns. Meetings will be announced via email and promoted on Twitter.
Dissertation Support Group
The CLA Graduate Dissertation Support Group is designed to provide a community for advanced students in the prospectus or dissertation writing stages of their doctoral programs. The group’s mission is to enhance productivity and facilitate academic progress by creating a space to discuss experiences, difficulties and best practices surrounding these academic milestones. Meeting frequency and timing will be student-selected and discussed during the first session. Register for the CLA Graduate Dissertation Support Group.
How to Stay Engaged in Graduate School
Follow us on Twitter @CLA_grad to keep up with upcoming programming, Temple updates, writing advice, job search tips, news and media pieces relevant to graduate education and more!
Keep in contact with your department’s graduate chair, your advisor and the Director of Graduate Affairs for CLA, Amy Defibaugh with any questions that arise throughout the year.
Join the CLA Graduate Student Advisory Board and serve as a representative for your department in discussions about ongoing graduate student needs, future programming and other issues affecting graduate students within CLA. Calls for CLA Graduate Student Advisory Board representatives will be announced via email at the beginning of each academic year.
Academic Success and Career Resources
- Student Success Center - University-wide academic support for students
- Temple University Career Center - Career and professional development resources @TempleCareers
- Career Center Services for Graduate Students
Graduate Student Union, Funding and Benefits
- Temple University Graduate School Website
- Health Insurance Information
- Insurance information for TAs and RAs represented by TUGSA
- Student Insurance Information
- Temple University Graduate Student Association (TUGSA) - Graduate student employee union @TUGSA_6290
- University Financial Support - Information on funding sources including fellowships, assistantships externships and internships, grants and more
IT and Technology Assistance
- College of Liberal Arts IT and Tech Center - Request technical assistance for your classroom or office from the Get Help page on the Information Technology website
Research Support and Resources
- Charles Library - Library located on Temple University’s Main Campus @TempleLibraries
- Visit the University Libraries website for online access to library resources
- - Check out the Graduate User Guide (pdf) which helps students navigate through the university's library services
- Visit the University Libraries website Staff Directory page to find a librarian that specializes in your discipline. You can find specific Research Guides.
- CLA Dean’s Office and Research Administration - Support for graduate student research
- Center for the Humanities at Temple (CHAT) - CHAT fosters innovative research in the humanities and humanistic social sciences @chatemple
- Public Policy Lab - Provides interdisciplinary forum for discussion of contemporary policy issues @TemplePPL
- Fellowship Advising
- Grievance Procedure Information
- Office of International Affairs - International student services and programs
- Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, Advocacy and Leadership (IDEAL) - IDEAL provides cultural development to students and faculty in order to create an inclusive campus community @templediversity